Friday, July 26, 2013

Hoosier Pass

Yesterday we biked to Salida by climbing up Hoosier Pass. It's elevation is 11,542 feet. Considering that we started in Breckenridge at 9,600 feet, it was quite the 10 mile climb. Jason and I were sweep for the day so we started off slow.  We explored the city of Breckenridge a bit and saw some nice shops. The city must much more crowded in the winter because its main source of tourism are the ski slopes. The climb to the top of the pass was pretty intense. I stopped for a break at one point.
 A Bike & Build Alumni left us gummi bears at the top! 

The descent was spectacular. Salida is at 7083 feet so we had a long way to go down throughout the day! I kept having to put on layers and then take them off because of the change in elevation!
We had to eat super quickly at lunch because rain was heading our way, so we pushed ourselves to reach the host and made it by 4:15!
You can't really tell too well, but there is a giant S for Salida on top of a huge hill in town. I also tried to get my bike fixed, but unfortunately they didn't have the part I needed. Dinner was awesome, and he host provided us with ham, broccoli, and baked potatoes. I love home cooked meals. 

More passes to climb still!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment