Tuesday, July 9, 2013

60 Miles on One Road

The ride from Moberly to Richmond was hot. No not hot. Sweltering. And we rode 60 miles on one long boring road. The heat index apparently hit 107 degrees at one point, but the actual temperature was in the 90's. Mark, Hannah, and I rode the whole day together! We played games as we rode up until first lunch. I posed with Rachel to show that I was ready for the second part of our day!
The next 20 miles on the 60 mile road we were on were pretty rough. The heat was increasing, and none of us really felt like talking. We rode, and when we saw a gas station, it was salvation. I refilled my camelbak with ice, and it was the most wonderful water I have ever consumed. Hannah and I discussed how much we want to jump in a body of water. After turning onto a 26.6 mile long road, we were determined to fulfill our goal. At mile 75 the van stopped for second lunch. And there just happened to be a pool there. I explained our plight, and the lifeguard let us jump in!
It was seriously the best part of my day. After a brief break, Mark, Hannah, and I took off along with Eric and Matt. We decided to pace line because the wind was brutal, and drafting off each other helps conserve energy. I actually felt pretty great the whole day despite the heat. When we got into town there was a sonic, and I ate ice cream. Then my day was complete!
They don't have Sonic's up north. They bring the food outside to you. It was cool. After getting up at 5 AM this morning, I am ready to rest though. We will be riding through Kansas City tomorrow en route to Lawrence!

Gotta keep riding through the wind and heat!

-Sarah

1 comment: