Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Long Day of Sweeping

Today we had our longest ride so far! It was 87 miles, and I was assigned sweep for the day. There are two sweeps assigned for everyday. Sweep has to stay in the back of the pack to make sure all of the other riders get in. They also carry the extra tire. It was a long day spent casually riding along in the ninety degree heat. I took a break from riding to put my head in a giant mailbox.
Brian and I swept together. Unfortunately we were on the same 42 mile long road until lunch time. I refilled my camelback because it was super hot out. I was determined to ride all 87 miles regardless of how long it took. One of the riders left us some "sweep love" with chalk.

The van came at around mile 65 because it was already 545, and we were only at mile 65. Fortunately our leaders are awesome and let us continue riding after our slowest rider was picked up. Brian and I kept a great pace for the last 20 miles so we made it just in time for dinner. We were exhausted!
As sweep we got in line first for dinner, and it was excellent. There were also affordable housing presentations done by the riders tonight. They were enjoyable! 

One more day of riding tomorrow, and then it's our build day!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment