Tuesday, May 28, 2013

El Paso is That Way

Oh man,  a lot has happened in the past few days.  First of all, I got a rain jacket for those blustery days in the mountains.  I think I look pretty good in it too.  It was obviously very sunny in the Sports Authority, so I kept my sunglasses on.

I also met with a homeowner that had a home built by Habitat for Humanity.  In partnership with the Syracuse Veterans' Administration, the affordable housing organization built the first home in Syracuse for both a disabled and woman veteran. 
      For a single mother with three kids, I can imagine it is hard to find an affordable home, and Habitat for Humanity has helped her thrive.  She is completing her Bachelor's degree.  She even volunteered more than the required 300 sweat equity hours to receive a home.  Having a face to face conversation about somebody's personal experience with an affordable housing organization furthered my understanding about why I am riding across the country this summer.  
     Everybody deserves a good home, so that they are able to be independent and happy.  I'm excited to educate people about the need for affordable housing in the United States.  I'm also excited to help build some homes!

I also did some fundraising at a local grocery store called Maines.  The manager and employees were awesome at accommodating me on a busy Saturday afternoon.  I set up my bike and bike trainer along with a sign.  My mom brought cupcakes.  I don't really know why.  I think she just wanted to torture me while I rode in place for three hours long.  But still thank to my mom, for being my support team.   Anyways, people were super generous which reminded me why I love humans so much.  Shout out to homo sapiens for having big hearts.  I ended up raising $200 in three hours, and I only got off my bike to rescue my sign from the wind a few times.

The patrons kept telling me that I wasn't getting very far and that I shouldn't break the speed limit.  Some guy also directed me to El Paso.  I smiled, waved, and said thanks to everybody.  Some children stared at me, and I offered them a cupcake, which made it a little less awkward.   In the end, I was a very tired young cat, but it was a very successful day.
   I also received a lot of other different donations this weekend.  So now my total fundraising is at $2519.  Oh yeah, less than $2000 to go!  I also biked around Owasco Lake with my sister and her fiance.  It was very windy, but the views were spectacular.  I have now biked 580 miles since April 17th.  I still haven't mastered the clip less pedals.  That is my mission for this week.
      I'm hoping to do some more fundraising this week which will include a can and bottle drive.  I'm trying to do something at the mall, but there are a lot of authority figures that have to say yes to me fundraising unfortunately.  I'll try my best though!  Just a week and a half left. Oh man!

Have a happy last week of May! 

If you have a pocket full of sunshine, please donate here:

http://bikeandbuild.org/rider/6693


Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment