Saturday, May 18, 2013

Back on the Saddle

Once upon a time...
                                 The doctor told me I was healed! Hooray! And now I want to dance just like this:



So now I've begun a campaign because I'm a bit behind in donations.  And by a bit behind, I mean $2933 behind.  But I have biked 391 miles since April 17th.  My group has a competition on this site called Endmondo.com where we can record all of our miles ridden.  Whoever rides the most gets prizes which include American Flag arm warmers. and a t-shirt with a dinosaur riding a bicycle.  I love eclectic clothing, so I'm all about it.  Currently I am in 5th place, but I know I can squeeze in some more miles before I depart for this journey.
           I typically ride between thirty and forty miles at a time, and sometimes I take breaks at scenic areas so I can take some really gorgeous pictures of myself.  And by gorgeous, I mean awkward.
Anyways, I'm glad I'll have some biker friends to model with this summer.
      I also volunteered with Habitat for Humanity in Rochester.  It was glorious because this woman taught me some hammer skills.  But because I tried to use these hammer skills, my hammer accuracy decreased.  But in the end, it was still a successful day.  So, shout out to Flower City Habitat for Humanity for being awesome.  Also, shout out to Syracuse Habitat for Humanity because you jump started my volunteering back in January before I broke my ankle.  My main inspiration for Bike & Build came from this picture below.  I was in Statesville, NC working with Habitat for Humanity, and I sawed apart a bathtub. 
I realized that power comes from power tools.  I also found out that insulation in your pants results in extreme itchiness. 
        There's one more thing I'd like to leave you with.  I recently read an article by Stephen Barton.  He is a Syracuse University Alumni and embarked on a journey to bike across America with one of his best friend last summer.  He ended up being in that movie theater in Aurora, CO.  He was injured but survived and is planning on finishing his journey this summer.  In his article he wrote, "I've since realized that our lives are ultimately defined by how we react to our setbacks and difficulties."

After breaking my ankle, I didn't want to give up on this journey.  I focused on school.  I focused on healing.  Whenever I encounter people, I can't help but smile while explaining what I will be doing this summer.  My whole heart has gone into this.  I'm sure I will encounter some minor obstacles this summer, whether it be getting a few flats or getting lost.  But I will overcome each obstacle.  I have more than 4000 miles to pedal to complete my goal, and I know I will.

-Sarah Louns

If you have know of anybody who would like to donate please send them the link that pops up when you click below!
Donate Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment